by Thom Hoch #31
Like your worst dream… it’s back. I’m talking about the Covid Virus.
Since I’m in quarantine after having been exposed recently, I have a little more time to pay attention to the news, to read more, and to just observe the world around me. Here’s some of what I’ve learned and observed:
- Increased “Life Flight” activity. The helicopter flies over the park on it’s way to Eugene or other hospitals to the north. Definitely busier. Wonder why?
- There are more new cases in the United States now, today, than there were at any time in past outbreaks since the pandemic started.
- While not perfect, the Covid vaccine is VERY protective. Over 90% of recent hospitalized patients are NOT vaccinated.
- The “Delta Variant” is considerably more transmissible than the original.
- In Oregon, Douglas County is among the worst counties. The two ICU’s in the County are over 90% full and new cases are coming in faster than past outbreaks.
from Douglas County’s Daily Covid Report dated August 16th:
By far the most effective measure in preventing the spread of COVID-19 are the vaccines. According to respected medical sources, the data overwhelmingly illustrates that the three widely available and safe COVID vaccines are very effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalizations and death. In fact, it currently shows that vaccines are 70-80% effective in preventing symptomatic disease, and over 90% effective in keeping you from being hospitalized or dying from COVID. To illustrate this point, 51 of the 56 residents currently hospitalized with COVID are not vaccinated.
I received word this morning from a Board member that effective immediately, Friday afternoon 3:00pm social hour is cancelled until further notice. I have a feeling other restrictions are coming.
I’ve taken the liberty to add a Covid Widget at the top of the right column of our website titled “Covid-19 Park and Area Info”, so all of you have quick access to the latest daily reports and updates.
As I sit in my trailer, alone (Dar isn’t here as she was called away on Grandchild duty up north), waiting out the quarantine period, and peering out the window wondering if anyone will deliver a care package of cookies or brownies (the lifeblood of website people), I encourage ALL of you to take this seriously. Take care of yourself now. (by the way, I’m still feeling fine. Fingers crossed).
Just a week ago I was thinking the lack of volunteerism was the Parks most pressing concern. Today, I think it’s getting a handle on Covid… AGAIN!!
What do you think? Feel free to comment.