Red Cross announces that Timber Valley Blood Donors will be tested for COVID-19 antibodies — Free
Donors must sign up for a specific time. Look for the sign-up sheet on the sign-up table in the Clubhouse dining room.
|For a limited time, the American Red Cross will be testing all blood, platelet and plasma donations for COVID-19 antibodies as an additional free health service to donors.
According to an announcement from the Red Cross: “Communities across the country count on the American Red Cross for help every day — and supporting those communities is at the heart of what we do.”
|Here’s what you need to know about the COVID-19 Antibody testing:
- The COVID-19 antibody test used by the Red Cross is authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and may indicate if the donor’s immune system has produced antibodies to the coronavirus, regardless of whether they developed symptoms.
- The Red Cross is not testing to diagnose an illness, referred to as a diagnostic test. Individuals who believe they may be ill with COVID-19 should not present to donate until they are symptom free for28 days.
- The blood donation process will not change — donations will be tested using samples obtained at the time of donation. There will be no charge to donors.
- Donors can expect to receive the results of their antibody test within 7 to 10 days of their donation through the Blood Donor App or donor portal at RedCrossBlood.org.
- Donors need to have a successful donation to receive the COVID-19 antibody test results. Per standard donation procedure, only successful donations are sent to our laboratory for testing.
If you have any additional questions about the antibody testing, visit RedCrossBlood.org/AntibodyTesting.